"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance.The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." -Chinese proverb

Friday, September 28, 2012

Goodbye China...almost (day 14)

In a few hours, we will be hopping on our train to Hong Kong and then flying back to the good ol' USA tomorrow morning.  I feel excitement to be going back home, dread for the long travel back, sadness for leaving the birthplace and home of our beautiful new daughter, and hope that our life as a family of five will gain some normalcy once we settle back in at home.  There have been so many ups and downs on this trip but we have been so blessed for how well it has gone.  I can't believe our journey to Liana is almost over however our journey with Liana is just beginning.  I'm so excited to see how she blossoms and how she adjusts to having a forever family.  She has changed so much from the day we got her.  She's walking much better and getting stronger every day, she eats more easily and isn't always holding a bite in her mouth when we're done, she smiles all the time, she gives us a little bit of sass, she teases Erik all the time, she grabs my finger to drag me around new places and she's learning so many new words.  She can already say mama, baba, Ella, ge ge (big brother), more, no, and that.  She's adjusting so well and gaining so much confidence but it's not all sunshine and roses.  As well as she's doing, I feel something lacking in how she is with me.  She seems to trust me and know that I will fulfill her needs but I sometimes just feel like I'm just another "mama" in a long line of mamas that she has had.  I know, that's to be expected at this point but it's not easy.  We knew that this would be the case because she's never had a family before.  She's had countless nannies and this is all new to her.  We can't explain that we are her mommy and daddy and we will be forever and ever.  Well, we can and we do but she can't understand that yet.  I have been surprised to see that her bond with Ella and Ethan is slow-going.  Ella dotes on her all day long and just loves her so much but Liana could take her or leave her at this point, which makes me sad for Ella.  Ethan is having a very tough time.  He is pretty angry about this new child coming into the family and it breaks my heart.  We walk this balance of needing to discipline him for how he treats Liana to wanting to just hug him up and tell him that we love him just as much as we ever did.  So, we do both.  It's been tough on him.  He hasn't really traveled anywhere and this trip in itself would be tough on anyone but then, losing his spot as "the baby", gaining a sister and a large scar on the back of his head, it's no wonder it has been tough for him.  I asked Erik yesterday if there has been any times that he has regretted bringing the kids.  I held my breath as I waited for his answer, which was no and it's the same for me.  We knew that it would be hard and in some ways it has been harder but in many ways, it's actually been easier than we expected.  Life is changing big-time for us and for them and we are glad that they were there from the start.  I can almost say that we survived but there's the whole going home thing yet to come so we'll see if we survive that. :-)  I'm thankful for everyone's comments to me on this blog, it has felt like a piece of home in this strange place and I can't tell you all how much those comments meant to me and how much I needed the encouragement and support.  Thanks for reading and following along with our journey.  I promise to post again as soon as I can once we are home.

Not too exciting but here are a few pics from today...



Blankie, Corduroy bear and his thumb...he's needing a lot of comfort these days

Who would have ever thought Ella's Lovey would go to China?  Filthy thing looks like she's seen it all

Another pretty church in Guangzhou

5 comments:

  1. As a parent I quess we are always asking "should we have" in so many ways.
    Should we have take Ethan and Ellma on the trip.
    Should we discipline or comfort,etc,etc,etc. As time goes on there just gets to be a bigger pile of "should we have". However, this blog has you done the one and really only one thing that is important, loved Ella, Ethan, and Lianna to the depth of your heart. All parents have limited time, patience,money etc, but God has given us all his limitless love.
    Great, great,great job.
    Now if only I hadn't made Erik wear his pants so high (inside joke)
    Bart and Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you'll be home tomorrow! So strange that you leave and arrive the same day! We will be very glad when you're home, but can certainly understand mixed feelings. It has been such an emotional, busy, and IMPORTANT trip! You and Erik have done a phenomenal job of mixing business with pleasure, and keeping all the littles safe, (no easy task with the dare-devil), their physical and emotional needs met, all while in an extremely unfamiliar atmosphere, and at the same time going from two to three kids!!!!! Good grief, I don't know how you did it, but you did--and beautifully. I'm sure the Lord was with you every second.
    I think Ethan will find life with a new sister much easier to take in the security of his own home. Congratulations on how well Liana is doing! That is in no small measure due to her Mommy and Daddy lavishing her with love patience and lots of security. I bet she will thrive with the routine of home, and her loving family. Soon Mommy and Daddy, big sister and brother will be the center of her universe. Can't wait. With love and pride, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how fast your trip went by. I have loved reading about your days and seeing all the pictures. I will be praying that you have a smooth trip home and the kids do great. I am sure you are ready to get back into a normal routine at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you are coming home soon! We have missed you and can't wait to meet that sweet girl!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making it through your trip (almost) and with your sanity nearly intact. I hope you can get over that cough SOON and Ethan's noggin heals up quickly and thoroughly. Have a very safe trip home and try to get some rest. Love y'all!
    -Tim

    P.S. Tell Erik the bears will still suck when he gets back.

    ReplyDelete