"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance.The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." -Chinese proverb

Sunday, January 27, 2013

China...Ethan's perspective

Usually when Ethan brings up China, he talks about the dinosaurs that we saw at the Safari Park or, more often than not, he talks about when he "bonked his head on the TV."  This is how the conversation usually goes,
Ethan: Remember in China when I bonked my head on the TV and you were worried about me?
Me: Yes, I do remember that.  I was very worried about you!
Ethan:  I rode in a taxi!  I hope I don't bonk my head again.
Me:  Me too!
And that's about the extent of our coversation.

Today, when we were in the car, an aiplane flew over us and here was our conversation,
Ethan: Remember when we went on a airplane?
Me:  Yes, I do.  We were on the airplane for a really long time, huh?
Ethan:  Yeah, and we went on a lot of airplanes!
Me: Did you like riding in the airplanes?
Ethan:  Yeah!
Me:  !!!???!!!
Ethan:  And we got Li-wana in China!
Me:  Yes, we did!
Ethan:  Remember, you gave her a sucker?  That was nice of you.

Pretty simple conversation but this is the first time that Ethan has acknowledged that he remembers that day, the day that we got Liana, other than the head injury part of the day.  Not that long ago, I was having a conversation about this with Erik and how I hoped that Ethan hurting his head didn't make him somehow connect Liana with this horrible experience.  Like, gaining a little sister = pain.  I know I'm probably overthinking it but he's young and it has worried me that on the day that we got Liana, he had such a horrible, painful experience and that seemed to be the only thing he remembered about that day.  So this little conversation made me very happy.  I'm so glad that he remembers the moment he became a big brother.  It was a big day and I hope he always remembers!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Ethan is such a darling!! I love these conversations between you! It is so wonderful to hear their observations and just a little bit, get inside their heads! He's so incredibly sweet! (and he's right--that sucker was nice of you! :)

    ReplyDelete